Sunday 27 April 2014

"Out with the old, in with the new"

Everyone gets to a stage in their lives where their days become boring, repetitive and monotonous. More often than not, people wait for a significant event to occur in order to make life more exciting. It is all well and good if this happens but in most cases, it doesn’t. It is often best to take the plunge and make the change yourself.

My friend/blogger Mariam and I have decided to embark on a journey together. I call it “The Journey to Prestigeville”.

Let me explain.

Recently, Mariam and I have been in a bit of a rut. We have been experiencing something along the lines of a midlife crisis. We have both been extremely uninspired and demotivated - Mariam has been unable to write her beloved poetry and I have not written a song or performed in ages. We have both been dealing with this issue in different ways - Mariam has chosen to vent her issues to me at 4am whilst I have decided to become a hermit and not leave my bedroom for 7 days straight (no lie).

We have decided to stop moping around and take charge our lives! We hope that by working on different aspects of our lives, it will help tweak our mindsets a little bit. One of the things we will be working on – my personal favourite – will be a total wardrobe revamp! So, for all of those considering having a total style makeover also, here are some tips:

FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU WANT TO CHANGE // My main aim is to make sure I am not stuck on what to wear when I look at my wardrobe in the morning. I want to maximise the amount of outfit combinations I could have without adding a crazy amount of new clothes to my already crazy collection. Also, I tend to wear a lot of black and grey clothing so I want to become a little bit braver with colour and prints. Pinpoint your goals and work towards them.

KNOW YOUR LIMITS // As much as I want a change, I want to make sure that I am not forcing myself to wear anything I would not be happy flaunting. The main aim is to be happy and comfortable so be sure to work around your comfort zone

INSPIRATION // I love getting inspiration from a whole variety of places. One of my favourite sources of inspiration is music. I have always loved artists like Lianne La Havas, Corinne Bailey Rae, Solange, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, Alicia Keys… I could go on for days. From these artists, I get a whole Afrocentric
vibe which I adore. I imagine outfits being very vintage, very print based, very summery and very on trend. I tend to also run to Tumblr for a lot of inspiration. I save a whole load of pictures and from there, I piece together what I love and what I can imagine myself wearing. Blogs help a lot as well – I love blogs such as London’s ClosetLullabies and CandyBeautyCrushShirley’s Wardrobe and In My Sunday Best.

Source: Tumblr.com
HAVE A CLEAR OUT // One thing I mentioned in a previous post about my unhealthy shopping addiction is that I want to stop spending an excessive amount of money on clothes. So one thing I plan on doing in order to “recycle money” is sell some of my unwanted clothes on eBay and then use that money to revamp my wardrobe. This is a good way to get some extra money for this project without cutting deeper into funds I do not have.

INVEST IN BASICS // There are things that every girl needs in their wardrobe! Keep an eye out for my post next week where I will show all the items I consider to be basics.

BE BRAVE AND HAVE FUN // Change is never a bad thing however people are still afraid of it. There is a fear of what other people will think and that, my friends, should be the least of your worries. If revamping your style is what will make you happy, DO IT! Ignore the haters.

DISCLAIMER: There is not an actual place called "Prestigeville". It is a metaphorical place at the end of a metaphorical journey. Click here to check out my friend Mariam’s post to understand what I mean by “The Journey to Prestigeville”!


Speak soon chums,


Mimi x

0 comments:

Followers

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP