Sunday 6 July 2014

Books For the Summer

So…it’s been a long time since I’ve written a post, and I’m not too happy about it. I’m not sure why it’s taken me so long, sometimes having the inspiration for writing about something takes so long to arrive. But hopefully, this post is okay with you guys!

Without a proper plan for the summer, it can be very, very, VERY boring! I’m still at university, living in my student house whilst most people are back home, so things could get a bit quiet in little ol’ Norwich. Now, I’m a pretty picky reader and I tend to jump from novel to novel without finishing them, but I’ve decided to write up a list of books to read over this sunny period. I’m not sure if people would think that reading is boring, but it’s actually great for your mind. Plus, it stops your brain from turning into mush from watching Netflix every day.

So, here’s a list of some of the books I’m going to get stuck into, as well as some tips for getting your money’s worth.

The Master and Margarita

I’m reading this book by Mikhail Bulgakov at the moment, and so revolutionary for a 19th century novel. I’m only a couple of chapters into the novel, but from what I’ve read it’s definitely kept me engrossed for hours on end. Now, I’m not going to ruin the plots for you if you do plan on reading these books, but this particular one is all about madness, magic and some very brutal deaths. I would definitely suggest it as a read; don’t be daunted by its hefty look, it is a great story.

The next books I have in line are:

1984’ by George Orwell
The Castle’ by Franz Kafka
American Psycho’ by Bret Easton Ellis
Fight Club’ by Chuck Palahnuik

From the look of these books, it does look like I’m obsessed with crazy and messed up plot lines. But I’m just really interested in what these novels have to offer, especially seen as though they are recommended and positioned on a lot of book charts. I am a huge fan of the old school paperbacks, just because I love the feel of turning pages and actually seeing the accomplishment of finishing a book when closing the last pages. But what can you do to make sure that you don’t spend money on books that you won’t like?

Beg, borrow, but don’t steal 

Get recommendations from friends and family and ask them if you could borrow their copies. You can get a taste of what the story is like without having to pay for the book itself, just remember to give it back.


Review, review, REVIEW 

Take a look at some reviews that have been written in newspapers, magazines and online to see what conversation the book is raising. It’s good to get the opinions of fellow readers so that you don’t get too hasty with buying a book.


Thrift booking shopping 

You can buy so many books at markets and charity shops for less than £3, maybe even in the pennies. There are many best-sellers that you can get which would usually cost a tenner, but don’t be afraid to buy second hand; you’re buying words, not gold!


Hopefully these tips help, and I’m hoping that everyone doesn’t get too bored over the summer. Read away friends!

From your literature-loving broski,
Myles




0 comments:

Followers

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP